1933: The League of Women Voters converts the “Little Red Schoolhouse” to the Northford Public Library.
1936: The Town forms its first Library Board, to govern the Northford Public Library and the future Atwater Memorial Library.
1943: With construction funded by a bequest from James Atwater (in memory of his father Charles), the Atwater Memorial Library opens to the public.
1956: Service begins at the Edward Smith Library in Northford, built with funds from Clara Smith (in memory of her father Edward), on land donated to the town by the Northford Congregational Church.
1967: The Town builds additions to both of its libraries.
1979: The libraries are officially designated a Town Department, governed by a new local ordinance.
1979: The Library Department joins LEAP, a cooperative effort providing automated library services.
2008: The Edward Smith Library in Northford closes for expansion and renovation.
2009: The newly renovated and expanded Edward Smith Library reopens.
2009: The Atwater Memorial Library in North Branford closes for expansion and renovation.
2010: The Library Department, along with other LEAP members, joins LION, a larger Connecticut library cooperative.
2010: The newly renovated and expanded Atwater Memorial Library reopens.